Job Title Education
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction in the Portland State University College of Education is seeking a tenure track faculty member at the Assistant Professor level in teacher education. We seek a candidate to work in our Bilingual Teacher Pathways (BTP) Program as well as our Added English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Endorsement program. Successful candidates will have a background and experience in accredited bilingual/multilingual teacher preparation as well as the preparation of teachers of English for speakers of other languages (ESOL). Opportunities also exist to teach curriculum and instruction advanced degree and doctoral specialty courses. This position will engage in teaching and research focused on bilingual, dual-language, and multilingual settings. Applicants motivated by the goals of social, racial, decolonial, and linguistic justice in the classroom and beyond are strongly encouraged to apply.
Because this faculty role includes duties in the preparation of teachers to work in linguistically rich contexts, applicants should have a minimum of 3 years of teaching experience. Applicants should have a record that shows promise of success in teaching, research, and community outreach and ability to foster community relationships and engage in in-person and online learning collaboratively with students, community partners, staff, and colleagues. Successful candidates should be prepared to lead cohorts of bi/multilingual teacher candidates as well as teach courses in the BTP and ESOL Endorsement Program.
Portland State University serves the most racially diverse student population of any institution of higher education in Oregon, and aims to center anti-racism, intersectionality, equity, and inclusion. We are particularly seeking individuals who bring critical perspectives to this work, and who actively work to disrupt practices and paradigms within educational systems and settings that are oppressive or marginalizing to students, their families, or colleagues. The College of Education (COE) has adopted specific goals to combat inequity, which are outlined in the Educator Equity in Teacher Education Institutional Plan. The individual selected for this Assistant Professor position will have an important role in preparing critical educators with the capacity to implement anti-racist and anti-oppressive practices that drive social change for equity and inclusion.
Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) educators and/or multiply-minoritized people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Full-time faculty within the College of Education have a combined teaching/research/service assignment of 45 credit hours or credit hour equivalents per 9-month academic year (27-instructional credit hours and 9-credit hour. equivalencies each for service and scholarly activities).Primary Activity I - Instructional Minimum Qualifications
- Earned Doctorate in Education or related field from an accredited program by start date
- Evidence of at least 3 years of experience working in a school setting
- Record of working collaboratively with linguistically and culturally diverse students, colleagues, families, and community and district partners
- Bi- (or multi-)lingual proficiency – Spanish/English and/or additional language/English
- Evidence of collaborating in multicultural, multilingual, and inclusive settings with a willingness to act / change for continual improvement
- Evidence of scholarly accomplishments and scholarly agenda
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Administrative and program coordination experience
- Working with and/or mentoring groups of preservice teachers
- Evidence of professional experience & background in teaching Bilingual/ESOL/ Multilingual, Dual-Language, or Multicultural Education settings
- Evidence of active work to disrupt practices and paradigms within educational systems and settings that are oppressive or marginalizing to students, their families, or colleagues
- Leveraging technology in instructional settings to promote access
- Experience working with undergraduate and graduate students
- Ability to develop and teach university courses in Spanish
• Creates an environment that acknowledges, encourages and celebrates differences.
• Functions and communicates effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds.
• Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings with a willingness to change for continual improvement
• Adheres to all PSU’s policies including the policies on Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment and the Professional Standards of Conduct.
Contributes to a culture of environmental stewardship, practices resource conservation, and actively works toward achieving long-term sustainability goals.Professional Standards of Conduct
At Portland State University, all employees are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner which maintains a safe, respectful, and productive environment for faculty, students, administrators, and staff. It is the responsibility of every member of the Portland State University community to conduct themselves in accordance with our PSU Professional Standards of Conduct which are available at www.pdx.edu/hr/professional-standards-conduct.Total Compensation Range & Benefits Statement
The annual salary rate for this position will be $63,234. The starting salary may be negotiable above this range; however it will be dependent upon the knowledge, experience, skills and abilities of the chosen candidate, the budget of the hiring department, and approval from HR.
PSU’s excellent benefits package includes 95% premium paid healthcare; a generous retirement and vacation package; and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Public Universities.
Please visit the to see the added value of PSU’s employee benefits.Additional Information
Applications must be submitted to PSU’s HR online system:
Required documents for the application include:
1. Cover letter
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Statement of teaching philosophy
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until finalists identified.
Please provide contact information for three professional references; references will only be contacted if you are considered for advancement to a campus interview.
Finalists will be required to provide three (3) letters of recommendation to support their applications.Does this position require the employee to drive a motor vehicle? No Background Check Required Yes