Job Title Sales
Category Sales and Related Workers, All Other
Salary 70,000 USD
Search Hewlett Packard Enterprise Careers
At Hewlett Packard Enterprise, we bring together the brightest minds to create breakthrough technology solutions that advance the way people live and work. What sets us apart? Our people and our relentless dedication to helping our customers make their mark on the world.
We are a team of doers, dreamers and visionaries; inspired by our purpose and driven by our strategy. We live by our three values: partner, innovate and act.
Our legacy inspires us as we forge ahead, always pushing to discover what’s next. Every day is a new opportunity to advance and grow ourselves, our company and the industry. Some people call it an obsession, we call it a way of life.
What you need to know about the job
Job ID: 1081432
Date Posted: 3/24/2021
Primary Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Other Locations: Houston, Texas, United States of America
Job Category: Sales
Schedule: Full time
Shift: No shift premium (United States of America)
- Leads the services sales community to success.
- Communicates direction to the team in line with the company’s services vision and strategy.
- Inspires the team to meet and exceed goals. Manages the HPE Aruba sales motion towards growth and increased profitability.
- Creates a high performing team through recruiting, developing, and retaining talent.
- Organizes the team and adapts the resource mix to maximize the team’s and HPE’s achievement, market coverage and financial performance.
- Coaches to assure best in class individual and team sales performance.
- Orchestrates major Enterprise-level customer engagements to deliver results and create the best customer experience in the industry.
- Manages escalations to solution, and solution to opportunity.
- Drives a hunting mentality.
- Engages customer executives to understand the customers’ business context, build trust, and deliver HPE’s value proposition in line with that.
- Creates early stage opportunities by managing top customers’ executive level relationships.
- Coaches and enables teams to craft the right technical, IT investment and pricing strategies to win. Partners with stakeholders to maximize cross-HPE team efficiency and customer success.
- Helps teams to bust barriers and overcome obstacles.
- Establishes sales methodology for end-to-end sales process management.
- Manages sales planning, and follows up to ensure consistent execution.
- Provides timely and accurate sales forecasts. Provides customer feedback and won/loss deal analysis into the broader HPE Aruba team.
- Applies advanced subject matter knowledge to manage staff activities in solving common and complex business/technical issues within established policies.
- Manages non-exempt/exempt individual contributors and/or supervisors.
- Has accountability for results of a major program in terms of cost, direction and people management.
- Provides guidance on process improvements and recommends changes in alignment with business tactics and strategy for area of responsibility.
- Plans, manages and monitors operational/tactical activities of Staff. Staff members' work may involve strategic issues.
- Recruits and supports development of direct staff members.
- Typically reports to MG2 or Director.
Managing the Business:
- Sales coverage – Builds well targeted business plans and strategies for allocating resources and driving services sales activities to achieve margin; collaborates within the company and with the field to prioritize, facilitate and direct the use of resources.
- Account Planning – Assists in planning sales strategy; manages the internal processes in support of services
- sales reps and selling activities; aligns tactical account plans with overall corporate strategy; actively develops and manages geography business plans to meet sales goals/quotas; develops plans that articulate the strategies/requirements essential for focusing sales activities, forecasts accurately and communicates sales progress; actively manages and signs off on account business plans through scheduled reviews and updates.
- Pipeline management - Builds, monitors and orchestrates sales pipelines to ensure continuous population of near and long term opportunities; manages the size, shape and quality of pipeline; analyzes overall win rates and win/loss ratios.
- Deal management – Reviews deals to ensure soundness and problem-free processing by the company's back-end operations; Monitors the number of deals with TAS plan reviewed by managers.
- Business acumen – Exhibits base level of business, financial and legal acumen to develop meaningful business recommendations; continuously monitors and improves area-of-control operations to ensure alignment with the company's business direction, the quality of business practices and optimum organization performance.
- Strategic sales planning & implementation – Orchestrates the development of strategic sales plans that reflect the company’s business strategy, to advance market share/penetration, and achieve profitable growth.
- Competitive Positioning/Strategy – Uses competitive intelligence in account planning and sales activities to develop counter strategies that will neutralize competitive influence on the customer’s buying decisions.
- Coaching & Performance Management – Assesses and manages employee performance to ensure individual and group excellence; counsels and supports individuals through selling challenges; manages performance and results of high and low performers.
- Leadership – Models effective selling skills; motivates and supports sales teams in selling; demonstrates a high level of support in the pursuit and closing of deals.
- People development – Sponsors and directs skill building activities to increase the productivity and accomplishments of the sales force.
- Change management – Ability to work through an environment of change and effectively lead a sales team through transitions beyond their control.
Selling as a Sales Manager:
- Focus on strategic direction – Understands the overall company strategic direction and services portfolio, and can assist sales teams in customizing solutions based on client needs.
- C-level partnering – Contributes to enduring executive relationships at the client’s organization; establishes professional relationships and credibility with key IT and business executives in support of other established relationships with the client.
- Consultative selling – Strategizes and coaches team on how to apply consultative-selling techniques to identify and advance opportunities that result in ongoing profitable revenue growth for the company; prepares for client calls in partnership with sales teams and supports the efforts of the team during client meetings; ensures sales teams have access to other company resources and encourages them to nurture relationships with client influencers and decision makers.
- Industry and client knowledge – Stays current with support services industry and competitive research and information to enable rich client dialogue; maintains an understanding of client business challenges, industry trends and markets; demonstrates the knowledge to position and map company capabilities that align to client business objectives and initiatives.
Education and Experience
- Directly related management experience and work results including success in achieving progressively higher quota or other sales related goals.
- Demonstrated level of project management skills.
- University or Bachelor’s degree.
- Typically 7+ years experience in sales.
Knowledge and Skills
In addition to core selling skills:
- Strategic Planning – Translates business goals into actionable plans and strategies that reflect the requirements and opportunities within area-of-control Aligns area-of-control account and market opportunities with upstream strategic plans and metrics. Sets sales priorities and establishing these as the focus of individual or sales team activities.
- Execution – Actively manages business plans to meet revenue goals/quotes and advance the business interests of the company. Determines if an opportunity is profitable for the company.
- Forecast/Budget Control – Tracks and manages rolling forecasts and budgets to ensure timely and accurate roll-ups.
- Pipeline Management – Builds, monitors and orchestrates sales pipelines to ensure continuous population of near- and long-term opportunities Balances quick wins against longer sales-cycle opportunities to ensure both immediate wins and long-term profitability for the company.
- Operations Building/Improvement – Continuously monitors, troubleshoots and improves area-of-control operations to ensure alignment with the company’s business direction, the quality of business practices, optimum organizational performance and a highly motivated sales force.
- Resource Brokering/Allocation – Collaborates across the company within the field to access, facilitate and direct the use of resources needed for effective selling.
- Sales Facilitation – Applies influence and organizational savvy to advances sales opportunities externally, with clients, and internally within the company; Establishes the company’s account presence and extends the customer’s account penetration to executive levels; Accompanies sales reps on calls to demonstrate and model effective selling skills.
- Strategic Account Leadership – Actively drives key enterprise and strategic account activities – promotes vision and models executive relationship building practices to build enduring partnerships and account share/penetration for the company.
- Attract and hire top talent.
Workforce Management & Development:
- Supervision – Assesses and manages employee performance to ensure individual and group excellence Builds individual and group commitment to business goals and personal excellence.
- Coaching – Personally develops employee performance to ensure individual and group excellence. Coaches and develops sales personnel in such activities as solution selling or relationship building. Reviews, brainstorms, validates, and troubleshoots selling strategies for individuals & account teams.
- Skill Development/Enhancement – Sponsors and directs skill building activities to increase the productivity and accomplishments of the sales force.
- Workforce Planning – Actively monitors, identifies and addresses sales and resource capability gaps within area-of-control Manages “span of control” issues to ensure such goals as adequate account coverage, employee retention, effective succession planning, and optimum implementation of workforce re- alignment models.
- Career Planning and Development – Nurtures and advances the talent required to maintain the company's sales force excellence within area-of-control.
- Proactively develops and nurtures solid relationships in key accounts as a basis for expanding the company’s business-partnering presence.
- Solidifies an enduring partnership with key accounts through such strategies as active monitoring of customer satisfaction, speedy problem resolution, and advance communication of beneficial company initiatives or solutions.
Strategic Business Planning.
- Manages the top- and bottom-line – monitors discounts and margins involved in individual deals to align them with group performance.
- Works with others to create mechanisms that shift the focus from “low- hanging,” immediate wins to recognizing and providing incentives for large deals/wins.
- Understands industry drivers and the customer base better to bridge company solutions with account-relevant problems and opportunities.
- Builds stronger internal relationships with other groups to ensure seamless selling of total company solutions and to establish clear expectations for resource alignment and support.
- develop effective counter-measures and messages.
- Builds clear strategies for working with key accounts to pursue and close major opportunities, including clear identification of tactics for accelerating progress through the pipeline.
Sales Team/Individual Coaching.
- Reviews and provides counseling on account-team deals.
- Leverages personal sales experience to participate in pursuit planning for key accounts.
- Strengthens the alignment of account-team activities and priorities with management’s business mission and goals.
- Assesses account teams for strengths/challenges and ensures that the team capitalizes on individual strengths, while compensating for individual challenges.
- Ensures that sales reps are trained on corporate tools and systems to ensure efficient use of time, better data collation, and elimination of the “management by spreadsheet” cycle.
- Vertical Industry Acumen – Develops and exercises a deep understanding of business dynamics within area of control, as a basis for informed business decision making.
- Solution Selling – Approaches selling from a business solution perspective to ensure that company products and services accurately address the customer/client’s true business need in terms of type, scope, level.
- Change Management – Develops methods for supporting innovation and change across the organization.
- Leadership – Able to lead effectively in a complex and political environment, and deliver results; Able to influence without direct authority; Able to balance between competing priorities and be flexible and creative; Drives team performance to best in class.
- Assists in the recruiting, training and development of Sales Representatives.
- Typically manages 8 or more Sales Representatives or combination of Sales Reps and others depending on functions managed.
HPE is an equal opportunity employer/Female/Minority/Individual with Disabilities/Protected Veteran Status
My favorite thing about the culture here is the amount of collaboration that goes on throughout the company.Chris Rasberry Finance Project Manager
With a company as vast as HPE, you never know what’s going to come up, so it keeps you on your toes, excited for the next challenge.Kristine Steeter AMS HR Operations and Global Services VP
Shape the Future of Business
Explore insights and resources to help IT pros shape the future of business.
Experience a day in the life of Hewlett Packard Enterprise employees.
Find out what it's like to work
Hewlett Packard Enterprise advances the way people live and work. What sets us apart? Our people. Our people's relentless commitment to partner, innovate, and act.
Sign Up for Alerts
Join our talent community and get HPE news and job alerts delivered to your inbox.
Search for a category or location (or both), select a suggestion and then click "Sign Up."
For information on the processing of personal data by HPE please refer to the HPE Recruitment Notice and HPE Privacy Statement . You can always withdraw or modify your consent to receive marketing and sales communication from HPE. This can be done by using the opt-out and preference mechanism at the bottom of our email marketing communication or by following this link to unsubscribe.