Job Title Natural Specialty Sales
Category Sales and Related Workers, All Other
The Director is critical to the current and future growth and profitability of the Company. The Director Sales is recognized by both the Management Committee and his/her peers as a key contributor to the organization. He/she exhibits high proficiency in performance of responsibilities. The designation of Director requires Management Committee approval.
The Director is located in larger markets and has direct responsibility for the management of and development of a department of Business Managers and Account Managers aligned by retail categories or departments such as Grocery, Frozen Foods, HBC, Deli/Bakery, Confection, etc. The Director is also directly responsible to the General Manager for all sales functions with his/her department. In some instances, a Director may have responsibility for a particular customer team.
- Deliver Corporate revenue goals on the agreed upon timing while operating within the Corporate budget.
- Deliver principals’ volume, share and sales fundamentals goals (Merchandising, Assortment, Pricing, Shelving) for assigned customers at the lowest possible cost.
- Achieve fundamental goals and results at the lowest possible selling cost while maximizing company revenue (to include brokerage, commissions, bonuses, contest earnings, etc.). Oversee manufactures’ expenditures at the customer level.
- Develop and sell Customer Business Plans. Communicate Principals’ priorities to Sales Managers, Sales Technology Managers, Marketing Managers, Business Managers, Account Managers, and the Retail Selling Organization to deliver in-store presence and business objectives.
- Develop and maintain superior business relationships with all customers in the market. Personally call on key decision-makers within the assigned customer.
- Serve as customer’s primary point of contact on principal-specific issues (i.e. Category Management, Consumer Shopping Behavior, and Promotions Strategies).
- Develop effective systems to manage trade-marketing funds at the assigned customers in accordance with Acosta guidelines and policies, as well as those of the principal. Work to minimize Sales Related Deduction.
- Assist and coach Business Managers in the management of assigned accounts.
- Assist with principals in order to increase their account understanding and where appropriate.
- Develop and maintain exceptional relationships with assigned principals and sell total Corporate capabilities.
- Represent Acosta, Inc. on key corporate issues with principals to leverage total multi-functional resources (HQ Sales, Retail, Administration, Marketing) for business gain.
- Develop opportunities to increase principals’ business by leveraging category and department expertise.
- Develop relationships with key manufacturers to develop new business opportunities.
- Effectively use knowledge of customer, market, and principal to successfully sell principals; specific programs and initiatives as well as Company objectives and initiatives-involve Marketing, Technology, and Administrative resources as needed to accomplish the objectives.
- Possess and exhibit excellent knowledge of all categories within assigned department.
- Possess and demonstrate superior technological skills (spreadsheets, graphics, etc.).
- Possess and demonstrate excellent analytical skills (including Category Management) to be utilized to improve business results.
- Maintain current understanding of key industry initiatives and trends (ECR, Channel incursion, etc.) on an on-going basis.
- Possess and demonstrate excellent “fact-based” (conceptual) selling skills resulting in improved results. Concepts might include: average transaction size, tier migration, expandable consumption/HH penetration, store loyalty (demographics), brand and category loyalty, etc.
- Utilize computer systems and technology to develop conceptual presentations to achieve the objectives of the Customer Business Plan. This includes developing and maintaining personal skill levels to support the use of retail communication systems (RW3) as well as basic analysis tools (IRI Analyzer, Demographics, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Possess and demonstrate leadership qualities consistent with Acosta’s culture.
- Develop and over see results of assigned Business Managers.
- Develop, supervise, monitor and evaluate direct reports. Create developmental plan for all direct reports to include implementation of Acosta’s Performance Agreement System.
- Responsible for special projects as requested.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree or equivalent work experience.
- Must have a proven track record in a sales capacity with a food broker or major national company.
- Prior experience must demonstrate sales skills along with the ability to successfully manage and direct others.
- Must be proficient in a variety of software packages used to support the sales function.
- Must possess strong interpersonal, organizational, presentation, negotiation, and sales skills.
- Must have the ability to analyze sales and marketing information needed to make effective sales presentations.