Job Title Engineering
Category Engineers, All Other
Salary 175,000 USD
View all jobs
Senior Technical Research Engineer for Query OptimizerSeattle, WA Our client is a community-developed, commercially supported fork of the MySQL relational database management system, making a huge impact on the world.
We are seeking Software Engineers to develop and maintain a framework for analysis, testing, and tuning Query Optimizer. As our client's offering - a distributed SQL database - broadens its horizons with more customers, more diverse workloads, and even some analytical queries, optimal query plans are the center of performance. You will work on challenging problems that ensure the database offers fastest performance, and reliably scale.
Design systems to verify algorithms for cardinality estimation, statistics, costing, and other key components of the query optimizer, tracking plan changes and performance regression when new or enhanced features are being developed.
- Generate simulated workloads to mimic customer queries and reproduce workloads and issues
- Work with industry standard benchmarks (TPCC, TPCH)
- Create complex and powerful tools and collaborate with other team members to assess new and existing features and to improve or develop algorithms used for Query Optimization
- 3+ years of software engineering or test experience, preferably with enterprise software products and/or appliances
- Hands on experience with relational databases and/or distributed computing systems
- Good understanding of database internals, especially query performance and query optimization
- Excellent programming and scripting skills in at least one language, preferably in python
- Highly proficient in a Linux or Unix environment
- Strong background in Mathematics