Job Title Technology
We are seeking a Software Developer with a successful track record in the planning, implementation, testing, and maintenance of custom software using Ruby on Rails and/or Phoenix/Elixir.
SmartLogic is an experienced and growing custom software development consultancy successfully serving clients since 2005. We are deeply committed to our team, our clients, and the communities where we work. Some of our recent company initiatives include leading on youth workforce development, software developer apprenticeships, our Elixir Wizards |> conference, and the Baltimore Women in Tech micro grants program. We look forward to reviewing your application and starting a conversation about a fulfilling career with SmartLogic.
Our typical projects last anywhere from one month to several months. A few of our clients have worked with us continuously since 2010. Our clients range from large nonprofits to startups to local governments to small/medium businesses: check out our case studies for more information on our work.
As a Software Developer at SmartLogic, we work to minimize context switching so you can focus on writing great software. We accomplish this by working to ensure our developers are assigned to one client assignment at a time, though occasionally you may be assigned to more than one project.
- Write concise, maintainable, and well-tested code using Ruby on Rails and/or Phoenix/Elixir
- Work collaboratively with a team of project managers, product designers, and developers for 40 hours per week
- Collaborate on project management to ensure satisfied clients and happy developers
- As a consultancy, our staff record and submit time on a weekly basis
- Contribute to the technical improvement and success of SmartLogics software development and expertise
- Participate in ongoing professional development to continually hone engineering skill
- Professional experience in Ruby on Rails and/or Phoenix/Elixir, and a motivation to learn and improve your software development capabilities related to these technologies
- Experience communicating with clients and translating technical issues to non-technical stakeholders
- Prior professional experience demonstrating your ability to be a team player and to proactively communicate your needs
- Experience decomposing client requirements into actionable implementation
- Proficiency or an interest in Flutter for mobile app development
- Comfort with participating in agile ceremonies such as standups, grooming sessions, and sprint reviews
The SmartLogic career map outlines three levels of software developer and how a developer progresses from one level to the next. The salary bands for the three levels are as follows:
- Junior Developer: $60,000 to $90,000
- Mid Developer: $85,000 to $115,000
- Senior Developer: $110,000 to $140,000
This position is fully remote and you may work from anywhere in the United States. We offer health, dental, and vision insurance, unlimited PTO, unlimited sick leave, paid parental leave and a 3% matching SIMPLE IRA program.
New employees are allowed a one-time $500 home office set-up allowance. Additionally, every employee is offered $600 annually towards work-from-home expenses.
SmartLogic is committed to professional development and community involvement. We provide ample opportunity for learning through dedicated professional development days, participation in conferences (we took our whole team to ElixirConf in 2022), and company-supplied access to books and other resources. We organize events, meetups, and invest in our local and online communities.
As a remote-first organization, we work intentionally to build a supportive culture in a virtual environment. We do this through various means, including Side Project Club, Coffee Chat, a weekly all-hands meeting, various slack channels (e.g. for #food, #fitness, #family, #mindfulness, #books, and more), doling out virtual tacos, monthly women+ coffee chats, virtual happy hours, and more.
SmartLogic is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
No phone calls or unsolicited emails, please. We do not work with recruiters or placement agencies. All interested applicants should apply directly through https://apply.workable.com/smartlogic/.