Job Title Technology
Director of Development
Position Title: Director of Development
Compensation: $120,000 - $140,000 annually
Location: Brooklyn, NY
At Rebuilding Together NYC, we believe a home is more than a house. As advocates for racial and economic justice, we focus on keeping our neighbors safe, healthy, and in their homes. We are problem solvers, leveraging partnerships to rebuild underserved neighborhoods and preserve affordable housing. But our mission expands beyond inclusive, affordable, and safe communities. Rebuilding Together NYC also provides New Yorkers with opportunities to achieve their dreams by up-skilling under-employed individuals for careers in construction. We are part of the solution.
For our neighbors in need who are burdened with home repairs and unsafe living conditions, we provide repairs and accessibility modifications at no cost. Prior to the pandemic, hundreds of volunteers each year worked to revitalize community centers of partner non-profits as well as on critical home repairs for low-income New Yorkers, prioritizing health and safety as well as accessibility. Rebuilding Together NYC gives residents a chance to remain safely in their homes, preserving our neighbors' physical, mental, and financial health and contributing to strengthening neighborhood centers that serve as extensions of our living spaces.
Our Careers in Construction program develops a skilled workforce, training underemployed individuals for careers in the construction trades. Our comprehensive program includes a combination of instruction, hands-on learning when safe, and placement in construction jobs or union apprenticeships. Pre-pandemic program participants revitalized community and nonprofit spaces to support residents because we understand that community centers are an important part of the fabric of our neighborhoods. Modifications to this program were made to ensure learners gained experience while everyone remained safe.
Since 1998 we have served the pressing needs of low-income residents throughout the five boroughs of New York City, remaining true to our mission to repair homes, revitalize communities, and provide opportunity and access for all residents.
Rebuilding Together NYC is hiring a Director of Development.
The Director of Development is the lead fundraiser for Rebuilding Together NYC, shaping critical fundraising strategies and implementing a comprehensive development plan. The position’s priorities are maintaining and building active relationships and creating a schedule of fundraising activities to include soliciting individuals, corporations, government, and foundation funders through purposeful identification, cultivation, and stewardship. The Director of Development is an experienced leader who oversees the Development Manager and Associate Board and works closely with the Executive Director, members of the Board of Directors, and the Director of Finance and Operations.
The Director of Development for Rebuilding Together NYC is tasked with building and implementing annual fundraising goals for the organization. As a skilled fundraiser, the ideal candidate possesses a wide range of development experience demonstrating increased responsibility. The Director of Development accentuates Rebuilding Together NYC’s role as economic and racial justice advocates through a lens that highlights the strengths of people and communities to all stakeholders. The Director of Development prospects and solicits institutional donors to increase foundation and corporate grant support. Through prospecting and research, solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship the Director of Development models and implements fundraising best practices including orchestrating special events and strategies aimed at increasing individual, and institutional support.
Development Plans and Strategy:
The Director of Development will facilitate fundraising successes, formulate actionable strategies, and will be responsible for building, leading, and managing all aspects of Rebuilding Together NYC’s Development program. The annual development plan will include the creation and implementation of strategy, grant management, individual giving, and corporate and foundation relations.
Collaborate with the Executive Director to lead development strategy, build the annual fundraising and communications plan, and secure annual and multi-year revenue targets.
- Oversee grant management including application processes, calendars, and timelines.
- Provide strategic direction, training, guidance, and motivation to the Board to help them leverage their resources.
- Lead and direct all fundraising efforts working with select Board members, Executive Leadership Team, event committees, and fundraising staff.
As the frontline fundraiser, the Director of Development understands both the science and art of fundraising. The Development Director will be a relationship builder with proven ability to prospect, steward, cultivate, and retain donors, ensuring all donors are connected to the mission, trust the organization, understand the impact, and have established relationships with the team.
- Go beyond the act of solicitation to secure a gift by building a rapport with donors and learning their giving priorities.
- Grow the donor pipeline in New York City.
- Serve as a major gift solicitor, cultivating donor relationships through active listening and engaging donors appropriately and with timely communications.
Development Operations and Communications:
This is an exciting opportunity to create communication plans through a variety of platforms including email campaigns and social media. The Director of Development will take ownership of the Salesforce database guaranteeing data integrity for accurate reporting. As a compelling communicator, the Director of Development will inspire the Board of Directors, potential and existing funders, and internal and external stakeholders through targeted communications.
- Monitor and oversee the annual fundraising plan and establish performance measures, monitor results, and evaluate the effectiveness of the development program.
- Create and maintain development calendars for all events, proposals, and corporate giving timelines.
- Oversee the creation and implementation of an annual communications plan
- Experienced and dedicated to all aspects of fundraising, including donor stewardship.
- Proven track record of raising funds from foundations, corporations, and individuals.
- Sophisticated solicitor able to think critically and strategically.
- Exceptional communicator.
- Detail oriented and organized with a strong ability to successfully multi-task.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum five years’ experience of progressive responsibility in a not-for-profit development context.
- Five years of experience as a senior leader with a nonprofit organization with demonstrated success in grant writing, individual donor development, and foundation and corporate fund development of a million dollars or more.
Follow this link and apply here for the Director of Development opportunity. If you have any questions, please email Dakota@sensarecruiting.com.
Rebuilding Together NYC is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to actual or perceived age, race, sex, religion, creed, color, citizenship, sexual orientation, ethnicity, familial status, liability for military service, genetic pre-disposition or carrier status, national origin or ancestry, disability, veteran status, marital status, gender identity or expression, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other bases protected under federal, state, and local laws, regulations, or ordinance.