Job Title Network Security Engineer
Category Computer Network Architects
Collinwood is assisting our client, a leading provider of technology-enabled solutions and supply chain management, in their efforts to hire an experienced Network Security Engineer. Our client has recently been ranked in Crain's Business as a Top 25 Tech Employer in Chicago. They are looking for incredible people to join their team and help carry out their mission of providing their clients with best in class service and technology!
Reporting to the IT Security Director, the Network Security Engineer will be responsible for IT network security across all offices and associated companies. This individual will have a broad IT knowledge across multiple technology disciplines, the security vulnerabilities associated with each technology area/discipline and best practices to detect and prevent threats to Echo IT security. The Senior Network Security Engineer plays a pivotal role in the design and implementation of the network security strategy.
The Network Security Engineer works closely with the network and Infrastructure team. Must have a strong working knowledge of security architecture, solutions, policies and procedures. Designs and implements solutions to align with the Cybersecurity Strategy. Ensures compliance with audit, regulatory, and legal requirements. Builds and maintains effective relationships with peers and internal business partners. Manages relationships with security partners and vendors. The position also requires the individual to work with all IT SME's to help enhance their products and systems so that IT security threat prevention is a consideration in all aspects of IT development and support.
Success in this role requires technical knowledge and experience, prior experience in IT security, organizational skills, and an eagerness to do whatever it takes to get the job done effectively and efficiently while continually challenging and improving the status quo.
What you will be doing:
Network Security Design and Development (70%)
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert to the organization for end-to-end network security architecture - including AWS, Azure and future providers, networking, provisioning, and management
- Demonstrate the ability to back decisions with research and articulate several options, the pros and cons for each, and a recommendation
- Contributes to and support the corporate adoption of the DevOps methodology and Agile project management
- Provide security guidance and drive infrastructure decisions in collaboration with other technical and management teams, ensuring Security principles are being upheld and no violations of Security Policy are taking place
- Support security system deployments, management, and maintenance, including Firewalls, VPNs, and infrastructure monitoring, reporting, and associated sensor systems
- Drive scope definition, requirements analysis, functional and technical design, application build, product configuration, unit testing, and production deployment
- Ensure delivered solutions meet/perform to technical and functional/non-functional requirements
- Ensure delivered solutions are realized in time frame committed; work in conjunction with project sponsors to size and manage scope and risk
- Act as the coach and mentor to team members and technical staff on their assigned project tasks.
- Open to new ideas and encourages innovative practices amongst peers
- Practices positive interactions - leans on encouragement in place of judgment
- Impresses responsibility on others by displaying ownership in tasks
- Acts in the overall interest of the team
- Actively works on broadening or adding skills
- Asks for assistance when problems become challenging
- Balances best practice decisions with delivering high business value
- Contributes to the success of the team
- Improve efficiencies of redundant tasks by writing scripts and when possible scheduling automation
- Capable of presenting technical ideas and concepts in business-friendly language
- Primary focus would be on the edge network pertaining to: On call support and working experience with WireShark, NMap, Pcap, Internet access and design for data center and remote offices, Internet facing ISP, DIA routers and firewalls, Layer 4 - 7 security policies and connectivity, VPN for Site to Site, and user connectivity, Cloud as it relates to AWS, and connectivity to Data center to the cloud, Site to Site connectivity leveraging SDWANS, and fail over routing to Data Center, Using trunking from the core switches, Participating i/e BGP routing, Network access control, care and feeding of Client, Leveraging Radius, TACACS, and 802.1x for wired, wireless and VPN connections
What we need from you:
- CCNP Certification (or higher) or 5 years or more experience in Networking Engineering
- In-depth understanding of Cisco network technologies and standard network protocols.
- Exposure to Palo Alto Networks' stack of product offerings, e.g. PanOS, Panorama, WildFire, App-ID, User-ID, etc.
- Hands-on experience with the following security technologies: Firewalls, Virtual Private Networking (VPN), log management, Network Access Control (NAC), proxies, authentication systems, content filtering, VLANs, routing and other network security technologies
- Knowledge of networking, firewall configuration, and monitoring (Understand and work with object-oriented rules/policies)
- Proven working experience in building and maintaining security systems
- Experience with system, security, and network monitoring tools
- Exposure to web-related technologies (Web applications, Web Services, Service-Oriented Architectures) and of network/web related protocols
- Degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline or equivalent years of experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including technical documentation skills
- Self-managed and motivated
- Ability to follow through with tasks to their completion, organized, and detail-oriented
- Willingness to learn new technologies
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to thrive in an environment that requires frequent attention shifts
- Proactive, self-starter able to work with limited supervision and prepared to take responsibility for the role's operations
- Exceptional time and project management skills
- Exposure to SOX compliance